Monday, May 6, 2013

Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Caramelized onion and Veggies

Every time I browse Pinterest I see about ten pins about cauliflower crust. As a lower carb, gluten free, and healthy alternative to traditional pizza crust, it's no wonder this trendy food has gone viral. I figured it was about time I gave it a shot!

I tried to veganize my pizza as much as possible, using caramelized onions as a base, rice cheese instead of mozzarella, and plenty of veggies. However, since this was my first time making a crust from cauliflower, I decided it would be best to use the eggs included in the recipe. Next time I'll try to use a vegan replacement for those as well!

All in all, the final product was quite tasty and successful. My only issue was that the crust stayed kind of soft in the middle, not holding its shape and making it a bit hard to serve- definitely required a fork! Hopefully I can troubleshoot this the next time I make it and keep the crust more solid all around. Let me know if you figure out a way to solidify the center more!



Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Caramelized Onion and Veggies
By Caroline Mac, crust adapted from recipegirl.com

Ingredients:
Crust:
1/2 large head of cauliflower, shredded into small crumbles (I used a food processor)
1 large egg
1 c shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (I used a rice-based cheese)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced

Toppings:
1/4 bell pepper, sliced
1/4 zucchini, sliced
3 cloves garlic, halved
4-5 basil leaves, shredded
1/2 portobello mushroom, sliced
6.5 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1 white onion, chopped
2 T olive oil

Step 1: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion. Stir occasionally for about an hour until the onion browns and becomes very soft. The onion is now caramelized. It's worth the extra time!

While the onion caramelizes, make the crust...

Step 2:  Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place cauliflower crumbles in a bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. Let cool.



Step 3: Grease a baking sheet or pizza pan and set aside. Combine cauliflower and remaining crust ingredients in a bowl and stir until thoroughly blended. Pat the mixture onto the baking sheet in a circle about 9-12" in diameter, making sure it is an even thickness throughout. Spread a little olive oil over the crust.

Step 4: Place all veggies and garlic (except the artichoke) in a baking dish and drizzle with a little olive oil and italian seasoning. Stick these in the oven with the pizza crust (step 5) for about 6 minutes. Set aside.

Step 5: Bake pizza crust for fifteen minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven.

Step 5: In a food processor or blender, puree caramelized onions with artichoke hearts. Once creamy, spread over the pizza crust, leaving a 1/2 inch border on the edge. Place all veggies and basil on the pizza.

Step 6: Bake pizza for another 3-5 minutes, making sure not to burn the crust. Remove from oven. Let cool for a few minutes (It'll be easier to serve).


Remember, my crust wasn't 100% successful, so I can't guarantee that yours won't be a bit floppy using this recipe. However, I can vouch for the taste- It's super delicious! I'll update this recipe once I figure out a solution for the crust.


Enjoy!

~Caroline~

No comments:

Post a Comment