Thursday, August 9, 2012

Savory Celery Stalks

        Celery has never been a favorite food of mine. However, this summer I've become quite a fan of it. It's the perfect base for tons of dips, spreads, and toppings and is way healthier than crackers or bread. I've come to love the crunch and the unique flavor that really good celery has. 
        My favorite celery topping is definitely the old favorite, peanut butter with raisins (a.k.a. "Ants on a log"). Today, as I went to prepare said celery for lunch, I noticed my mom eating some rice cakes with balsamic hummus. She then suggested putting some of the hummus on celery instead of peanut butter. I tried it out and loved it! However, I decided that was far too boring a recipe for this blog. So I spiced it up a little. By topping the celery with balsamic hummus and sun dried tomatoes, I created a new snack to add to my repertoire. The combination of crunchy, creamy, and chewy textures make for a fun chewing experience, and the different flavors blend together in a very delicious way. 

Savory Celery Stalks
By Caroline Mac
Ingredients:
Celery, washed and cut into 3-4 inch pieces
Balsamic hummus (you can buy this at the store or make your own by adding balsamic vinegar to regular hummus)
Sun dried tomatoes, sliced (dry, not packed in oil)

Step 1: Spread the hummus on each celery stick so it fills the bowl-like part, but not overfilled.

Step 2: Take 2 or 3 pieces of tomato and press them into the hummus

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. This looks really YUMMY, a quick and easy way to dress up some celery sticks! I love the crunch you get from celery too, I am a big celery fan ;D thanks for sharing Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Thanks for checking it out! :)

    ReplyDelete